The Duke of York joined The Queen to open the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn new Ashworth Centre, and re-open the recently renovated Great Hall.
In 2012 HRH was made a ‘Royal Bencher’ of Lincoln’s Inn, which is one of the four Inns of Court in London, with records dating back to 1422.
The visit started at the Ashworth Centre, where The Duke of York met staff who were involved in the new building, which is state-of-the-art teaching facility for students and newly qualified barristers attached to the Inn.
Next, HRH and Her Majesty visited the beautiful Great Hall, which was originally opened by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1845, to meet tutors, Education Committee Members, Past Treasurers, Senior Benchers and key members of the Inn’s Staff.
The Duke of York was also able to see his Coat of Arms on display in the Great Hall. All ‘Benchers’ are entitled to have their Coats of Arms of display, and His Royal Highness’s features the Royal Crest with a label of 3 points, with the central point charged with an anchor – this has been used for Duke’s of York since 1892.
After unveiling a plaque to re-open the Great Hall, The Queen and The Duke of York signed the ‘Golden Book’, which was first signed by King Charles II on 29 February 1672 and his brother James Duke of York (later James II).